Set up your printer
Is your printer AirPrint-compatible?
Either way, you’ll be able to use AirPrint, but if your printer is AirPrint-compatible, the setup will be easier. Go to this Apple support page and see if your printer is listed as one of the compatible devices.
If ‘Yes’, then:
Well, aren’t you lucky? Your AirPrint setup is very simple. Connect your iOS device and printer to the same Wi-Fi network. As far as the setup goes, you’re done.
To test the connection, open up a note in the native Notes app. Hit the action button (the square with the arrow) and select “Print.” Your printer should appear as the selected device. If not, tap the Printer field, allow your device to scan, and tap the printer name when it appears.
Hit Print, and your note should be sent to the printer almost immediately. The transfer speed will vary depending on your Wi-Fi network, but you’ll likely find that it’s surprisingly fast.
If ‘No’, then:
If your printer is not AirPrint-compatible, don’t fret. There are downloadable programs that trick your iOS device into thinking that any printer connected to your desktop is AirPrint-compatible. So, instead of the iDevice communicating directly with the printer, it goes through the computer first.
Learn how to print from your iPhone or iPad an AirPrint-enabled printer.
You can print from your iOS device to any Airprint-enabled printer:
- Open the app you want to print from. Find the print option by tapping the app’s share icon ( or ) or settings icon ( or ). If you can’t find the print option, check the app’s User Guide or Help section. Not all apps support AirPrint.
- Tap ( ) or Print.
- Choose an AirPrint-enabled printer.
- Choose the number of copies.
- Tap Print.
If you don’t see your printer, make sure that:
- Your iOS device and your printer are both connected to the same Wi-Fi network and you’re within range.
- Your printer supports AirPrint.
View or cancel your print job
While printing from your iphone or ipad, you can watch your print jobs or cancel them through the App Switcher. Just double-click the Home button and tap the printer icon.